How to Make Your Roof Last
A roof is a major investment, so it’s smart to do whatever’s necessary to make sure it stays in good shape.
Periodic Roof Inspections
Regular inspection and preventive maintenance will keep small problems from becoming big ones. Inspect roofs at least twice a year (spring and fall), and do all the necessary maintenance.
- If you decide to climb up there and check the roof yourself, there are a number of problems to look out for:
- Check all drains, scuppers, and gutters for leaves, dirt, etc., that can block positive drainage.
- The roof should not be used for storage of HVAC repair parts, lumber, signs or any other unnecessary equipment.
- Prevent damage to the roof system from exposure to harmful chemicals or substance. Vents should not exhaust harmful materials onto the roof surface. HVAC condensate should not be drained onto the roof.
- Minimize foot traffic to that necessary for the maintenance of the system or equipment.